Wednesday 30 September 2009

Media Law

Media Law... Admittedly not something I would have perhaps chosen to study within a journalism course, which sounds like a stupid comment to make but when I chose to study journalism I just assumed my writing style would be refined, I'd learn a few vital reporting skills and away I'd go- every newspaper in the country would want me. WRONG!
There's a lot to be aware of when it comes to writing for the media, one slip up and you could go to jail, which personally is not something I would like to achieve in my future journalistic career. The thought of being sued for libel or malice does very little to thrill me. That's what these lessons are here for, to keep me out of jail, to educate me on the British Legal system and hopefully help me on my way into my chosen career path.
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists is just that, essential. It looks a little intimidating but everything I need to know (along with any other budding journalist) is in there from Freedom of Expression to Protection of Sources.
I am going to remain positive that these lessons will help to keep me out of any trouble, apparently no student at Winchester University has been arrested yet and I feel no obligation to break this record.

1 comment:

  1. No - journalism is an information based activity. It really does not have that much to do with writing. It is about finding out facts and reporting them quickly and accurately. It is absolutely nothing like English or creative writing or poetry, though you need to develop a tight, punchy factual writing style as well (we will start doing that soon). Surely we made that clear to you when you applied for the course. Where did you get the idea that it would be about 'refining your writing style'. This is completely the wrong end of he stick. Should you be on Creative Writing course?

    ReplyDelete